View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #50
Rindis

Default Re: [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
You can have an AOE even closer range than melee - it's an Emanation, where you have to stand in the center of it. A melee reach C, 1 cone 3 yards wide sounds like exactly what you need.
Cone specifically mentions that it doesn't combine with Melee Attack.

Emanation is just a Area Effect centered on and excluding you. Pairing it with Cone instead of AE could work, but is also forbidden by the RAW of Cone.

I'll note that Melee: C, 1 + Cone 3 is +60%. Emanation + Cone 3 is +60%. While Cone 3 + Reduced Range 1/10 + Increased 1/2D x10 is +35% (forgot that last earlier). That does imply that my build may be too cheap. But it's the only one not disallowed by RAW. (Well, other than the entire extrapolating the Reduced Range mods bit....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
Sleep works well in D&D because everything has a level. So figuring out who is the weakest is easy.

But since GURPS doesn't have levels, this makes this tricky. My first inclination is to keep things simple and let the dice fall where they lay.
As I implied, I'm just going with 'lowest resistance is weaker'. Did you look over my first variant thought? It seems a decent way to keep things fast, and over time, it should be fair (though individual castings can go strange because of the dice). And I like it a lot better than All-or-Nothing's everyone or no one effect.