View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Anaraxes

Default Re: Food & other stuff production in a farm

Sounds to me like the OP is asking for rules for individual animals producing things, as though their biochemistry were statted as an ability. Sort of like "takes Immediate Preparation for two years, during which time the oyster is effectively at -1 FP if interrupted; at the end of the Prep, the smallest size of pearl appears. The pearl can be grown further by taking a Ready Pearl Maneuver during subsequent years to increase the size by one step on the Pearl Size/Cost Chart per year..."

I'm pretty sure GURPS doesn't have rules for that kind of thing. There are a few published sources, as well as references for other games (Harn, Ars Magica) which would work. Or information on the web, like Medieval Demographics Made Easy.

For externally observable production schedules, I think people usually just use real-world stats for yields, seasons, etc (much as with vehicle performance). The biggest pitfall there was already noted -- if you're looking for output from your TL3 pseudo-medieval fantasy world farm, it's realistically a lot less than you get from the modern TL8 version of a chicken or an acre of wheat. So if that's important, remember to put a little more effort into finding historical data rather than current stats. And of course if you get to throw magic or alien biochemistry on interstellar worlds into the picture, there are enough variables that you can start making things up.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 12-07-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote