View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #32
Collective_Restraint

Default Re: First thoughts on D&D 4th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Huh? I cannot think of a time when D&D did not emphasize combat.
Hmm, I beg to differ on that opinion. I'm sure Ed Greenwood's (creator of the Forgotten Realms setting) games emphasized on roleplaying. Sure, I bet it had plenty of combat but I bet roleplay was a a major focus of his games. And I'm sure he wasn't the only one running games like that. What I find funny is that it seems that because the D&D character stats sheet only mentions the character's knowledge (non-weapon profiencies or skills) and combat stats that you can't roleplay. Just because my PC doesn't have Shyness or Alcoholism written and calculated on his sheet doesn't mean he can't be any of these :) I always liked GMing my D&D games with characters with plenty of background stories and make them even more elaborate over the games. The only difference between this and GURPS is just that you don't have to stat out the character's personality. Plenty of other systems work the same way (Dark Eye, Dragon Warriors, etc.). I just find this edition too Diablo-like, computer game-like to my tastes. I do find that this type of ruleset really emphasize on combat only where in older editions each class had abilities that didn't necessarily involved combat.