View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #39
KarlKost

Default Re: [Spoilers?] Blue and Orange Morality: Adapting the Faerie Courts

Hmm... Thank you Johnny, I loved those ideas

I'm going to include a few of those in a game of Fairies that Im planning... I loved the unkillable concept

Im also thinking on making a few of their powers based on Impulse Buys, so, they would have an amount of "permanent" Impulse Points (15 pts/lvl), and each one of those would give 1 "temporary" Impulse Point (it wont be named as such, but it is that concept derived from Power Ups 5, but I'll limit the use of those to not include changes in dice results). Those points would be the bases for their "magick", actually, it will be more like a "reality recreation", since I'll have the Fae is a sort of magical beings from the Primal force of Magic that created the world. They'll also be the weavers of Fate, so, their base power dissolves and recreate reality; I found that Impulse Buys are perfect for such. I would also have a kind of "karmic" experience increase; the Fae CAN'T get new XP, no matter what, but they can change themselves using the power of Fate. So, they can use their "temporary IP points" (the ones they haven't spent during the session) as points of experience... At a price. Because, Fate always charges a price. So, any points they use to increase themselves, they also gain the same amount as "Dark Fate" (disadvantages - or lost advantages. So, for example, the Fae can save 10 of his IP points to increase a skill/atribute/ability/whatever, but now must also get a -10 disadvantage, or lose his 10 points ally, for example).

All Fae in this game of mine will have what I call "karma balance";

that means:

If your sheet says that your char has 200 points... Thats what it will have - no matter what.

So, if the PC loses an ally, or if has his hand cut off

Fate will be kind... The points he gets from those disadvantages, he will get to spend on other traits.

But, when the Fae tries to bend the destiny to gain power

Fate is cruel.

Each session, the GM will give the players "Fate Points".

Those will be the real "XP" of the players. But with a little difference.

Those Fate Points can ONLY buy disadvantages off.

So... What's really the difference?

Its a matter of theme.

In this version Im building, the Fae can't really learn... They are, indeed, like sapient robots more or less.

They dont grow in learning; they reprogram themselves. They use their Magic to gain profeciency where there were none.

The Fate Points are NOT experience; they are, rather, a kind of "fateful push". The Fae that can successefully get over their obstacles, is favored by destiny. "You rescued the Princess and became the King. Fate smiles at you, and your delusions, paranoia and bloodlust are healed as you sense destiny favoring you"

That means that, eventually, your deepest love will turn into your most bitter enemy (first you lose your ally, than that former ally becomes your enemy, all that so you can become more powerful).

Thats why the Fae have insane love stories; they do love, with all their heart. But, they know that every relation is ephemeral. They love with all their heart (or they become totally callous), only to be tired of their affection in the next time; dont get attached to any one, it will end bitterly, so, enjoy while you can. In fact, that makes them tragic creatures, bound by their fates.

This also makes family relation almost impossible; therefore, the Fae doesn't know parental care at all; I was thinking in making the reproduction more of a social norm than something desirable (so, Fae that don't reproduce for too long, specially during summer/winter time, according to court, would get a social stigma).

In this scenario I propose, can anybody see any other profound psychological mark that the Fae would have?
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote