View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
scc

Default Re: [Magic] Staffs And Enchanting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
You can't use more than one Powerstone to power a spell because that's a limitation on Powerstones. It has nothing to do with how close or far apart they are from each other. A wizard who is 6'4" could wear a powerstone in his hatband and another on his boot with 6' of separation and they'd recharge at full rate, but he still couldn't use both of them in the same spell.
It's a quirk of putting them into the Staff, they become one item.

Quote:
It isn't clear if you can cast Enchantment spells through an item enchanted with the Staff spell: the effects of the Staff spell (p 13) mostly deal with Regular, Area, and Melee spells, and Enchantment spells are a different class. Let's assume you can, using the default magic item economics on pages 20-24 of Magic:
I'd assume that you'd have to touch the item being enchanted with the Staff.

Quote:
A circle of 6 mages can create Q&D items of up to 60 energy for about $1/energy at the rate of 22 items per week.

A lone wizard with a Staff item ($30) and a 25 point dedicated Powerstone ($12,000) can create a Q&D item of up to 60 energy every 25 days. It takes an hour of his time ($4). Assuming he wants to pay off the item in 5 years, he needs to make $12,000 + $30 + $4 * 5 * 365 / 25, or $12,322 by selling the 73 items he created - or $170 per item. So this is not a good solution for making money.

However, if you're a lone wizard on an island with nothing but your trusty Staff and 10 available FP, you can could create a 6 energy Dedicated Manastone in about a day's work and use that to cast Powerstone. Without the Dedicated Manastone, you'd need a 10 energy Manastone, and that would take 2 days to create. So if you don't have access to a circle of mages and you need to rebuild your wizardly tools, Dedicated Staff Manastones are useful.
Your assuming that you don't have access to a high mana area to speed recharging. Also this is more useful for getting the absurdly high power items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Regards to a 6' staff being able to mount 2 powerstones without their interfering with each other, I'd suggest that you run that past your GM for their approval. It is, after all, their campaign world. While I am a firm proponent of allowing GMs the right to wander off the reservation as the see fit (ie ignore rules as written in favor of something else) - if the question is "rules as written, is this approach valid", then my response to your question(s) are as follows:
Kromm has specifically allowed it.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote