Thread: Partial parry
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #21
khorboth

Default Re: Partial parry

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
You can also do Power Blocks, using the sword to brace the shield, rolling another cinematic skill to empower a shield; say the Power Blow* or Breaking Blow† using unarmed fighter picks up a table to block a blast of fire.

Honestly I'd either allow cinematic Skills to act as Power Parry and Power Block (even Power Dodge with say Flying Leap or Lizard Climb‡) or I'd allow for Power Defenses as an Extra Effort In Combat choice¶.

The first limits the Power Defenses to characters that have cinematic skills which often require an Unusual Background cost and costs FP§, or I'd just make it an Extra Effort setting switch which would mean anyone could attempt a Power Defense (best for high wuxia content campaigns where everyone is a martial artist).
Also all good points. I hadn't even considered shields as they don't feature strongly in Avatar. In final world-building, it will be important to decide if I want to throw the switch toward everyone being a martial artist or toward major characters all being trained by masters, but mooks being plentiful. It bears some throught.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote