Thread: HEAL spell?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #38
Skarg

Default Re: HEAL spell? --> spells that cost damage not fST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi all, Jim.
In current TFT, all spells costs fatigue ST (fST) except the Death Spell which costs the wizard damage. I like the idea of a few more very powerful spells also costing the wizard damage.

Doing so gives more variety to the spell the list, and allows the designer to make some very powerful spells at lower IQ, and retain balance.
I agree, especially if there is no healing spell to make that difference go away.

I could post some suggested healing spell versions, but my main suggestion is no healing spells, and my secondary suggestions are (IIRC from looking at them before when Rick shared them on the TFT email list a year or more ago) probably rather like Rick's healing spells - i.e. they let you heal while still being active, and/or increase the healing rate which is still in terms of days rather than turns, but don't just make your wounds instantly vanish.

Some other random ideas:

Healing spells could function like Aid spells that last until the wound actually heals... or until dispelled... (e.g. Remove Thrown Spell, Dispel Magic). I.e. they don't make wounds magically vanish - they just keep you alive until they do heal... unless something breaks the spell.

Healing spells could be risky, e.g.:

Healing spell failure results:
15 - automatic failure
16 - failure and wound is increased by 1d - 1
17 - failure and wound is increased by 2d - 2
18 - failure and wound is increased by 3d - 3

A possible detail, designed to also possibly soak up Wishes: The resulting damage takes about ten seconds (2 turns) to manifest. There is enough time for someone in possession of a magic Wish to realize what is happening and use the Wish to roll minimum (i.e. zero) damage. Someone could also roll for damage and if they dislike the result, to use the Wish to re-roll the result.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote