View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #29
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Discworld Characters from the Novels

I think I'd interpret that more as there being significant bonuses in-setting when someone is disguising themselves as something the viewer expects to see - if the common cultural assumption is that "person in trousers, not wearing a dimity scarf, no obvious female characteristics = male", then the women are probably getting +4 or +5 to their rolls. And probably very few people are making opposed rolls because they're not looking for disguised women either, so a basic success on Disguise is enough. I think most of the women in Polly's regiment were probably relying on those bonuses and rolling at default. But according to the book, Polly actually practised moving and appearing as a male, so I think that justifies at least a point in Disguise.

If the writeup is for Polly at the very end of the book, I'd also suggest at least a point in Observation - she immediately picks up on the fact that the two recruits arriving at the ferry are both women as well. And she seems, throughout the story, to be picking up on when things are out of place or unusual quickly.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote