View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #54
larsdangly

Default Re: IQ attribute increase and talent/spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
This last statement is at the heart of my objections to this change as well. Separating the aquisition of talents/spells from IQ reduces the inherent value of IQ and creates an imbalance in the 'economics' of character progession IMO.

I also dislike the 'use it or lose it' mentality that this change creates. For example, back in the day, it was not uncommon to have 1 or 2 IQ left over after initial character creation that the player could then save for a more 'expensive' talent to be earned later on after some adventuring. That is no longer an option if this interpretation of RAW is correct.
I'm surprised you see it this way; my view is that the change does quite the opposite: it incentivizes higher IQ scores during character creation (particularly for heroes), and does nothing to change the 'economics' of character progression. That is, you are deciding whether the benefit of starting with extra (and better) talents is worth the penalties of lower ST and DX. But once you've made up your mind about that, everyone is in the same boat when it comes to advancing. Saving unused IQ points is definitely an old strategy that no long applies, but it strikes me as a minor detail. I.e., I don't think it is very important whether it works one way or the other in this respect. The only impact is that you are dumb not to spend all your IQ based talents when you are created, so everyone will do that now.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote