View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #52
TippetsTX

Default Re: IQ attribute increase and talent/spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
That is an interesting (different) topic, and I take the traditional TFT view that PCs are a bit above average and it's up to them to learn from extraordinary (and probably very dangerous) experiences if they're going to become even more capable. And that most people don't go on life-threatening extraordinary adventurers and gain that experience, or else the average would be higher and/or many of them would die off trying.

Really though you've bypassed the main point, which is why is gaining 5 attributes on par with learning just one talent point? I was a bit generous in giving Pudork the Pole Weapons talent. If he had no weapon talent and had to learn that too, it'd take 1500 XP, not 500! I don't think there's any point discussing any of the rest of it without tackling that.
This last statement is at the heart of my objections to this change as well. Separating the aquisition of talents/spells from IQ reduces the inherent value of IQ and creates an imbalance in the 'economics' of character progession IMO.

I also dislike the 'use it or lose it' mentality that this change creates. For example, back in the day, it was not uncommon to have 1 or 2 IQ left over after initial character creation that the player could then save for a more 'expensive' talent to be earned later on after some adventuring. That is no longer an option if this interpretation of RAW is correct.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-06-2018 at 02:54 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote