View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #24
Parody

Default Re: Autoduel the PC Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
You could probably extend this logic to getting rid of all physical games, but they still have appeal.
Game aids are very useful, but there's a big difference between something that helps you play a game and something that is required for you to play.

Physical games have advantages over their partially digital counterparts, mostly in being able to play them without a device, without convenient power for the device, without Internet access for the device, without everyone being able to see and hear the device, and without worrying about the device or its software ceasing to function.

Fully digital games have advantages over their physical counterparts, in that you can install many of them on a highly portable device, play vs. the computer when nobody is available, and play with your friends whether or not they're present.

Partially digital games combine the flaws without being able to combine all of the benefits. Notably, if the app stops working you have a bunch of worthless cardboard and plastic. I was picking on Golem Arcana as a recent one, but how many people had a defunct Dark Tower back in the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Sometimes its hard to beat the experience of gaming with live people around a table with physical components.
I agree, which is one reason why I don't like to play online tabletop games. I do like conversions that we can play together: my stepdad and I were playing Risk on my Commodore 64 back in the 80s, while nowadays I can pass-and-play a bunch of more modern board games on my cheap Windows tablet.