View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
43Supporter

Default Re: Stagnation in Road Combat Designs .

Roads: I have a scenario set in the "early days of autoduelling" (for ex.: The most-powerful unit in it is a box-stock _Joseph Special_...) which occurs on the open road. For generating road sections, I used the following table:

T1: 1: Sharp Left [T2]; 2: Shallow Left [T2]; 3: Straight [T1]; 4: Straight [T1]; 5: Shallow Right [T3]; 6: Sharp Right [T3]

T2: 1: Sharp Right [T1]; 2: Sharp Right [T1]; 3: Shallow Right [T1]; 4: Shallow Right [T1]; 5: Straight [T2]; 6: Straight [T2]

T3: 1: Sharp Left [T1]; 2: Sharp Left [T1]; 3: Shallow Left [T1]; 4: Shallow Left [T1]; 5: Straight [T3]; 6: Straight [T3]

The result tells one what road section to lay down next; the bracketed bit says which table to roll on when the next road section is generated. One can add another die roll if one wishes to vary between "clean" and "debris-covered".

I recall there being an _ADQ_ scenario setting a road-combat in "rush hour traffic"; don't recall which issue, tho'. It covered both car types, and how the driver of a given car reacted -- anything from "panic braking" to "homicidal rage".

CW RPG: Way back when (preceding my time in Omaha), we found ourselves frequently needing stuff which didn't exist in-game, but did exist in Reality; our usual method was "find the outdoor-store pull-out ads from the newspaper, and use those to generate prices and performance data" (keeping in minds: Advertisers are usually optimistic about Performance, if you follow me :) ).

Tech: Sad to say, but: It's appalling to look at "CW Tech" and see just how much of it is flat-out Wrong -- for ex.: Electric-powered cars in CW have lousy acceleration compared to gas-powered cars, but higher top speeds; in Reality, the reverse is true (electrics have all their torque Right Now). Then there's car weights -- pretty-much-everything is 2x as heavy as it ought to be. And someone out there is figuring out how to make gasoline (or oil) using algae; if that works, well, you figure it out.

As to the PC Problem: There was an old crack in the '90s about "in CW's early days, 3d6 was considered 'powerful', 30 points was 'a lot of armor', and PCs had 3DP; now batteries of 8d6 are commonplace, 70 points is 'almost enough' armor... and PCs have 3DP". That's just the reality of life -- to quote George Carlin: "Evolution is slow; smallpox is fast". Humans haven't improved much in damage-absorption capacity in 10,000 years; an arrow will kill a modern man just as fast as it would kill a Stone Age man. Infections, and diseases, may be less of a problem; but that's only if one is within range of a hospital or medikit.... So there's not really a lot which can be done to make humans less fragile on a "modern" battlefield.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote