View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
Otaku

Default Re: New Technique of the Week: plans and objectives

Intriguing thread series idea. I like it, but I've got some questions/comments that might make it seem like I don't. >.> Probably just due to my own areas of difficulty with GURPS and communication in general.

1) I know you have a great Index for things like this, but at least while the series is new, it seems pertinent to link to this thread somewhere in the opening post. The only reason I found this thread was because I was searching for something else after seeing one of your specific New Technique of the Week threads. ^^'

2) Shouldn't there be a [Basic] Technique of the Week thread? It'll save time when dealing with the confused (like myself =P) who might need some help really grasping the rules for techniques. Yes, the general rules and guidelines for techniques are above, but going through what was in [Basic] should really help those (again, like me), who probably need help grasping the finer points of technique design.

3) "New Technique" sounds like it still might be official. If it is just me (or very few other than myself), don't worry about it... but "Homebrew" or "Unofficial" or something similar seems like better titles for the series. This also means someone can discuss established, homebrew techniques that (at least for now) haven't made it into an official release. Which ties into the previous one; going through those may help others with creating new Techniques and starting these threads.

4) I know you explained the general premise above, but when explaining one's specific new Technique, explaining why it works better as a Technique than one of the other options seems like a good idea. Even if it seems obvious. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote