View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #36
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Initiative, Revised

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Very cool. It maintains the irrelevance of Rcl to weapons with RoF 1, which is good.
Well, with Rcl 5 and higher, you actually have to wait more than a full second between shots if you want to avoid the penalty.

Quote:
My only concern is that high RoF weapons are landing a lot more hits with moderate skill.
There are a few things to keep in mind here. First off, skill 14 after modifiers is actually a pretty high skill with ranged weapons. More importantly, however, is that you're falling into the "roll average" trap here. With skill 14, it isn't "on average, I'll hit with every bullet." On the first shot, you have around a 74% chance of hitting twice, a 16.7% chance of hitting once, a 9% chance of missing outright - an overall average of around 1.65 hits. For the second shot, and all subsequent shots until you take a pause or run out of ammo, you have a 50% shot of hitting twice, a 24% shot of hitting once, and a 26% shot of missing outright - an overall average of around 1.24 hits. So, with a 1 second (5 Ticks) burst, you're looking at an average of 6.61 hits. Yes, this is more than the 5 hits predicted by RAW GURPS - but many people (myself included) are rather less than fond of how hard it is to hit the broadside of a barn with a full burst in RAW GURPS, so this is arguably an improvement.

Quote:
The real problem is that, in order to make hitting with subsequent bullets as hard as it is in core, the Rcl penalty needs to accumulate
I considered something of the sort, but it ends up ramping up difficulty far too rapidly. Something where once you are suffering from -Rcl or worse each additional Tick of firing gives another -1 might work. So, with RoF 3, Rcl 4, and Skill 16, that's 16-12-P-12-P-12-11-P-11-P-11-10-etc. The same weapon at RoF 5 would be 16-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-etc. I think even this would be too far, but I could be mistaken.

Quote:
Getting extra IP with All-Out lets me offset the cost of attacking, so I'm spending half IP to attack once.
Precisely.

Last edited by Varyon; 01-12-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote