View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #32
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Initiative, Revised

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
I think I've read through the whole thing again, but I can't grok how gaining 30 IP lets me attack again with a 60 IP weapon... unless we're assuming I have Weapon Master, and I'm spending the IP to cancel out the -3 I get to each attack for Rapid Strike? Or can I actually spend IP to drop the cost of attacks?
You get an extra 30 IP. How you spend it is up to you. You've just gone from having 100 IP to having 130. So, if making a 60 IP attack, you're dropping down to 70 IP. That's a net change of 30 IP.

EDIT: One thing I failed to note in the write-up, as I couldn't figure out a good way to word it, is that you cannot have more than 6 Ticks of "IP debt" at a time. If you use All Out to grab an extra 6 Ticks worth of IP (60 IP for Init 10) and use those as part of a 70 IP attack, when your turn comes up next Tick you've still got 5 Ticks of debt left; you can't pick up more than 1 Tick's worth of IP for this turn.
If you've got debt for both All Out and Committed, pay off the All Out first, then Committed.

Quote:
Why don't HP factor into the equation anymore? Why, in fact, does it need to change at all? As you wrote it, it looks like the slammer needn't worry about falling down, nor about reciprocal damage aside, I suppose, from the Hurting Yourself rules for unarmed combat.
My Slam guidelines aren't meant to outright replace what currently exists, but rather to show how to merge current Slam rules with the Initiative Overhaul. So, damage is still calculated the same way, and is still reciprocal - as noted, it's collision damage, with all that entails. I had honestly forgotten the oddity of getting knocked down when doing a Slam, but just using the current rules for this will work alright.

Quote:
... M&A ...
My rules for Move and Attack are written to try and hew decently close to the current rules (the lack of a cap on thrusts is just a reinterpretation of Armed Slams). Any houserules for making Move and Attack more attractive are likely to be compatible with Initiative.

Last edited by Varyon; 01-12-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote