View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Genesis

Default Re: Minor Wierdness Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
It might be worth more, depending on how fast it disrupts electronics and how important those electronics are to survive. Space travel for more than a day should probably be restricted to a living ship (like those from Biotech) if those are available. If space travel is important to the campaign, Lifebane (Mechanical) should probably only be allowed if living ships are available to the players.

Guns and personal equipment would also be affected over time, especially something with lots of electronics in it. The character should expect to go through several guns and communication devices over time and his allies will probably have to repair their own stuff fairly frequently.

Another feature of that would be complete incompatibility with any kind of cybernetics and possibly an immunity to nanomachines (both beneficial and hostile). And romancing a cyborg is not advisable for either of them. Some types of field medicine (including generic First Aid kits) may be useless to such a character depending on TL. It could push the vaule to -15 or possibly even -20 if the campaign setting is focused on electronics and bio-tech is rare/unreliable/has a social stigma attached.
Well, Lifebane as written is a pretty slow effect. It doesn't insta-gib everyone you shake hands with, obviously. It seems to work mostly on living systems that are "smaller" than you on some sort of metaphysical level....

I'd say that Electronic and Mechanical are two different versions of the disad, too - so take your pick between laser pistols and slugthrowers. I'd definitely apply either to beneficial cybernetics, and one or the other (depending on setting) to nanomachines. Cybernetics implanted on hostiles are probably not affected, by dint of not being in contact with the Bane character for long enough to rack up enough minor issues.

Yeah, it would definitely be a pretty big disad in some settings... I don't suppose +0% is anything like balanced, but it's a fun concept. It's a racial feature for Gremlins, obviously.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote