View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Nanofabricators, DRM and Forced Scarcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm counting the capital cost of purchase as the original investment (normalised at $150k, though in practice you get less for more human-like models and more for highly augmented ones).
An outlay of $150k will cost you as a capital expenditure, on top of the interest you have to pay on that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I subtracted the Status 0 upkeep from the money a bioroid makes for its owner. I suspect many are kept at less than Status 0, though the savings are minimal compared to the overall monthly income.
I'd be very surprised if you could keep it to just $600 a month, but even so it'd take you 66 months, not 50, at which point you'd have the bioroid/robot paid off and could begin paying for the capital expenditure.

Running the numbers given, I get a match-out at 24 years, with a final profit of $45k for the bioroid/robot before it stops functioning at 25 years.
That's a bad business choice.

The numbers I ran using 10% a year, compounded daily, give me $150k capital being worth $1,761,732.09 after 25 years.
The robot/bioroid, with profits also being compounded daily at 10% a year, being worth $1,806,859.28 after 25 years.

Due to initial capital risk outlay alone the bioroid/robot isn't worth it.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote