View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
dwalend

Default Re: Official Rules Update and FAQ (Draft versions 1.01 - June 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
One problem may be 5.11.2 -- that deals with fire on "vehicle + infantry" combinations by noting that the result is applied to "all the infantry" mounted on the vehicle. There is also some absurdity that arises from 7.11 and 7.12.1 with cross-vehicle grouping.
That's quite a knot. I generally interpret ambiguity to favor Infantry and soften spillover, maybe for too long. Consider that a spillover D will kill lone infantry. If you don't let the infantry form a group, think about just how deadly that spillover fire will be.

I've always read it as targeting the vehicle delivers the same die roll to the infantry mounted on the vehicle -- regardless of how they are grouped. So a strength 2 attack on the LT at 1:1 delivers a 2:1 to the riding infantry (with the same die roll) and delivers spillover to the rest of the infantry group. For example, the 6 result would X the LT and that one Inf but the rest of the group would get spill over (at D2, although that's my reading again).

When a superheavy or GEV-PC gets zapped, the INF can form a D2 or D3 group for that attack. (The old rules said you could regroup whenever. This adds a wrinkle for the newest rule.)

Quote:
More absurdly, if this is 3 INF squads on 2 trucks (and say A2 against the 2-INF truck), this would result in the heavily-armored passengers of one truck being killed while the truck continues on merrily.
I'm less bothered by that. A mission kill on INF (drones, ducted fans, weapons, ammo, suits, and soldiers) is different from a mission kill on a truck (engine block, drive train, crazy driver). What stops one may leave the other unharmed.

Quote:
There also is some potential oddity from spillover fire (7.12). There should be spillover fire on all the other vehicles in the hex, which (per 5.11.2) should result in identical-roll spillover fire on all the infantry mounted on those other vehicles. This would seem to imply that a cross-vehicle INF group should be subject both to direct fire (at the target vehicle+INF) and spillover fire (at the other vehicle+INF) from the same shot.
Ah. I read "the vehicle + infantry combination is fired on" from 5.11.2 as untrue for spillover -- you didn't fire on it -- so 7.12 just spills onto the grouped infantry.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote