View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Icelander

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Chummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Its sounds too much like using the fact that sexual orientation changes in some people over time as evidence that everyone's can change in any direction if given the right "impulse". I don't buy it.
Some /= Everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
And even in your scenario, I don't see it as evidence that people become Chummy which includes lowered ability to function when alone. That sounds rather sad, not adaptive as you imply. It's a disadvantage for a reason.
Not all learned behaviour is universally positive. And something that is a beneficial adaptive evolution for a given environment can easily be disadvantageous outside of it.

Soldiers exist within a very social organisation, and with very few exceptions, aren't supposed to spend too much duty time alone. Even off-duty, it can be difficult for anyone other than fairly senior people to get much privacy. In general, soldiers operate in groups, are assigned 'battle buddies' and the military makes every effort to avoid having people face operational stresses while alone and unsupported.

Coming into full adulthood in an environment where you grow to rely on an enforced cohesive social network of close co-workers, not to mention learning to accept living and working side by side with a lot of other people as the normal state of affairs, strikes me as an excellent way to become dependent on near-constant social interaction.