View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
hal

Default Re: GUN Need to stat out a Weatherby .270 Winchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayd3000 View Post
So, just for some further info. Here's how I statted out a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 Winchester, assuming a Federal 150 grain soft round using Hal's spreadsheet:

Dam: 7D+1 pi
Acc: 5
Range: 640/3650
ROF: 1
Shots: 5+1
ST: 10 (t)
Bulk: -5
Rcl: 3
Weight (e): 7.5

Based on my readings of this firearm and performance reviews, then comparing it to the rifles it is compared to in the reviews against GURPS rifles, I'm thinking it's probably a good approximation. For Acc, Rcl and Bulk I just used similar rifles; though a published set of guidelines for those would be convenient.

Enjoy!

Now maybe to do the Kel-Tec sub 2000....
Oddly enough?

There is a formula for calculating felt recoil values in foot pounds that might come to the rescue. I came across it while looking for information on bullet lengths. If one uses that formula for real weapons, and compares it against the values already published, it may yield a useful approximation. My biggest issue with the accuracy values for guns is that I've not taken the time to include barrel lengths for the various weapons. THAT project might take a bit of time.

One thing to keep in mind is the question that has been bothering me a bit. "How are the projectile muzzle velocity values computed"? Are they simply a function of using an average value fired from several barrels? Are they actual values from one single test function?

The more I got into the question of "Ballilstics" (largely because of Doug's original sheet), the more I got to thinking "Yup, you HAVE to approximate things to even come close to real life ballistics!".

Something as simple as temperature and air pressure (sea level) can have an impact on the muzzle velocity of a given round fired from the same gun. The rifling twists also have an impact on the accuracy of a given round - so much so that what works for one caliber in a given gun may not necessarily work for a slightly different round of the same caliber (ie, bullet weight and velocity).

In all, it is a rather complex undertaking to try to match the game constructs we call "Guns" to real life data it seems. ;)

But, here's my idea on how to approach things...

GUNS GUNS GUNS has a way of computing accuracy based on several things, not the least of which is barrel length. But another possibility is to list actual guns listed in say, GURPS HIGH TECH, in a spreadsheet, to see what accuracy values they were given. Since muzzle velocity is largely a function of bullet mass times force applied, and there are multiple possible rounds per gun, it might be somewhat problematical to use real life data per se - but it might be possible. Who knows. ;)

I'll see what I can find out over time.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote