View Single Post
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Upgrading existing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Edit: This dangerous pastime of adding "reality" to Dungeon Fantasy RPG makes me nervous. I feel like putting on a seatbelt or something.
I don't even necessarily need a "realistic" answer, at least initially. I wasn't even sure what the intent of the rules for bow-ST are in this regard.

Your answer, as always, is definitely helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
Related question: If a PC wants to order something that isn't on hand in ye olde shoppe, are there rolls to try to get something *very* specific. For example a fine, balanced, dwarven, oricalcum, penetrating scythe (random example I'm totally not trying to find for a game I'm a player in ...). What does that look like?
See Rolling, Rolling, Rolling, Exploits p. 12. This is an appearance roll.

For this I suggest adapting the frequencies for Wandering Monsters (Exploits p. 95) and the rules for With Spikes p. 6.

The chance of a specific item being available is based on the size of the town:
Small hamlet: 6 or less
Average town: 9 or less
Metropolis: 12 or less
Vaults of the Dwarven Kings, Shopping Mall of the Gods, ect: 15 or less.

Modifiers: +6 for any of the equipment listed as Basic, clothing, knives, sticks, slings and rocks, +3 for regular bows, short bows, impaling arrows, and leather and cloth armor. -3 for equipment listed as Special Orders, Magic Items, weapons and armor with a base cost of $1000 or more. -1 per quality (including "Good" and "Fine" for gear like lockpicks and toolkits) and -2 per enchantment.

On a failure by three the item is available in a larger settlement and can be ordered. It will arrive in in 2d weeks at 1.5x cost (or the delvers can pick it up themselves after a quarter of this time in travel). On a greater failure the item may be available by a custom order. Roll again with the same modifiers against appearance 12, on a success the item can be commissioned within the kingdom, otherwise it is unavailable without a quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The realistic answer is no, but the in-genre answer is "yes unless the DM feels like making a particular magic item annoying".
The backing thing seem real.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-20-2017 at 02:23 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote