View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #37
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Artillery (and Forward Observer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The situation that Kromm describes seems to be missing it. If they have time (and cover) to lay in stakes, they have time to set up fire direction.
What would it constitute to 'set up fire direction'? Particularly, what would it involve other than additional division of labor that the group doesn't necessarily have the composition to support?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I can tell you that the average mortarman (required ASVAB in the US is like 56 or something, IIRC) couldn't do the math that's required here. That's not Artillery skill, that's FO (FDC) or whatever we want to call the skill that the FDC uses, which if somebody has and is using on the gun, they effectively do have an FDC in this scenario. Although, I'd think that if he has to do it in his head, he ought to get -5 for improvised equipment. Of course GURPS doesn't appear to care if makes his roll anyway, so maybe it's moot.
It appears that as currently constituted GURPS does not care about the inner workings of artillery direction at all. Artillery seems to be a basket skill covering everything you need to make the shot from FDC tasks to muscling rounds, regardless of whether that's anything like how the process is actually handled.

That's not how I want it to be either, but it seems to be how it is.