View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #768
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Why isn't GURPS as popular as the D20 system and games

The only GURPS book I've seen on a shelf in years (not counting consignment) has been GURPS Zombies at my FLGS. They have one, lonely, copy of it, and no other GURPS books.

Most of the people I introduce to GURPS is through self-printed copies of GURPS Lite, and usually not at an FLGS. Or, it's through me talking about it, and pointing them to Warehouse 23 to get their own copy of Lite.

If they're interested, I'll usually loan them one of my dead-tree versions of Characters to look over, or, I'll just sit with them, help them make a character, and they'll play. Usually picking up their own copies of the Basic Set either from Warehouse 23, Drive Thru, or even Amazon. As this is happening more and more over Discord, it's usually me looking at my PDFs on monitor two while I'm talking with them and building their character on monitor one.

I haven't played face-to-face with my group in a couple of years. And there's one member of my gaming group I haven't met, in person, yet. We talk over Discord and play through TableTop Simulator.

There was a time when I would buy dead-tree versions of the Basic Set for my players, so they'd have the books.

Me, I prefer just having to lug around my laptop as opposed to 75lbs of gaming books.

Now, if we could just get an on-line product like D&D Beyond for GURPS, I'd be ecstatic.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote