View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #16
Yako

Default Re: Puzzles, riddles, and the tabletop/larp divide

RPGs are first and foremost a game.

And puzzles, whether it is the "solve this situation" kind or the use of an established type of puzzle or riddle, are one traditional part of the game, just as tactical combat or improvised acting.

Now, you can of course have people who just do not like one of those parts, that is perfectly fair. Some people don't like combat, some people don't care for playing out social interactions and some do not like puzzles.

If you play the kind of game the majority of your players dislike, yes that is stupid. That is why we all usually should communicate our preferences first!

I personally am in the camp of people liking riddles, puzzles and the rest. Granted, just like in any other situation, you should not let the players get stuck to the degree that it ends with an unfunny stalemate, but that is no different from other situations.
Players will likely get equally upset if you make a very confusing social scenario where they inevitably stumble into a trap that ends up throwing them completely out of the loop and results in them plodding along for entire sessions without resolving anything.
Similarly, no one likes a big, boring battle that drags on forever and is completely repetitive.

As for "realism"...
We are talking about a type of hobby where we accept that inexperienced farmboys morph into world saving heroes over the course of month or maybe a couple of years at best, where people build dungeons filled with monsters to hide valuable magical treasure and big political conflicts end up getting resolved through the intervention of a band of travelers.
I could list a lot more, but in the greater picture, I do not think that one room, door or chest or whatever else being safeguarded by a logic puzzle or riddle really sticks out any more than the rest.

Puzzles and riddles are a type of game in the end.
If you know your players to enjoy that type of game, I think it is absolutely legitimate to include it.
I still have very fond memories myself of rpg video games like Lufia Rise of the Sinistrals especially because of their puzzles, same with many Zelda games.
And in such a case, there is absolutely no reason to involve dice rolls for anything but players requesting a useful hint if they really get tuck.

Custom Cardboard Miniatures
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote