View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Is Transhuman Space a "silly" genre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There is no need to prove viewpoint. I know that I have a viewpoint, and in fact, my viewpoint is the starting point for all knowledge I have of anything.
And I know that you have a viewpoint and that it's different from mine. Both are axioms that cannot be rejected without abandoning any possibility of reaching rational conclusions or of communication and discussion.

By the very fact that you are discussing what my position is, what I think, and how it differs from what you think, you are accepting that I have a viewpoint. If you didn't believe that, there would be no point in your talking with me.

Bill Stoddard
Why is the existence of my viewpoint obvious to you? You can't detect it in any way. You're not replying to me, you're replying to posts, or opinions. Which may or may not be 'mine, even'.

When you ask a magic 8-ball to give you an answer, you don't believe that there's some supernatural observer 'behind' the question-answering process. Why do you believe there is one behind my question-answering process?