View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #2709
Gedrin

Default Re: Classification Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Another thought on this setting. The Cold War seems to have caused a long term movement of US politics to the Right except for a backlash in the 1960's. In this world, fighting a proudly right-wing dictatorship (even if no present day American Right-Winger would except that view of the Nazis it is how they presented themselves and how many others including the Americans saw them at the time) America would likely move to the Left. The 1960's would have been a period of Right-wing backlash.
Not seeing where you get the rightward drift. Given the opposition from Chinese Communisrs and German Nazis, I can see the US national identity being cast in opposition, and I don't think any authoritarian strain is indicated. If anything, competion with the US lead the Reich to liberalize its economic policy, which lead to social changes. There's a Kennedy as POTUS in the 1980's, and no indication that government sponsored pre-natal medicine has produced anything more authoritarian than what we have IRL.

The world is more authoritarian, but with half of it being Nazi, and a substantial portion being Communist, that's no surprise. The US is engaged with that authoritarian world, but I don't think there's much indication they've adopted those strategies. Still, I want focused on the story of the US, and you're welcome to flavor to taste.

If I were to go in any direction, I'd change the ideological underpinnings of '60's and '70's radicals to Nazi. Using the "were anti Nazi" rally cry to post Japan War social reform, with a significant and well funded backlash by Reich backed racial ideological groups. The bombings and violence are more lethal, and come to and end quicker than Homeline's experience, the Nazi version of The Family getting closed out in the late '70's.

Last edited by Gedrin; 07-16-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote