View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #239
Acolyte

Default Re: In Nomine Second Edition: What have we learned?

While I am not a huge fan of that from reasons of complexity, there's some that I like. I really like the inclusion of an attribute that measures power apart from resiliency on the Corporeal (and other planes). Also,

Quote:
Skills might even be decoupled from Aptitudes, with the Aptitude/Skill pair being decided on a task-by-task basis.
A game in many ways similar mechanically to IN (in that it uses Attribute+Skill pairings to arrange target numbers, although it uses a d20 and a "roll high as but not over the TN") is Fading Suns (a far future, dark-ages-in-space game that is something like a mashup of Dune, Stargate, and the Warhammer 40k setting). Fading Suns totally decouples skills from Attributes, and although it suggests the most typical pairings it encourages creativity as well. This works out REALLY WELL. Some of the best FS gaming moments come from unusual but apropos skill pairings (a priest rolling Endurance+Oratory to browbeat a peasant with a guilty conscience into giving a confession, an ex-black ops guy rolling Perception+Warfare/Demolitions to know a good place to hide a bomb and thus to hide a bug for a surveillance op, etc). IN could benefit from this approach as well (and it's something I certainly already houserule into IN).