View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Default Re: In which setting do you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
I could imagine that there are some options, like playing uplifted animals, being definitely less popular.
Seriously: Who wants to play an uplifted Octopus?
The idea has some amusement value, but limited viability in most campaigns. Uplifts really don't have the smarts or social acceptance to make decent PCs, to be sure. Interesting NPCs sometimes, though, and I really ought to look at using them as Allies in more games.

(And heck, I've run a demo scenario in which all the PCs were Sentient Snacks. Sort of.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
Well ok, maybe some Cthulu guys. I always wondered how somebody who is fascinated by transhumanism might at the same time be enthusiastic about some bogus demonology trash like Cthulu.
When his brain was fizzing in the right direction, Lovecraft was quite a sophisticated hard SF/technothriller writer by the standards of his time, and some of his ideas verge on transhumanism. (Someone will wheel out at least one of his lines about a vision of the future sooner or later on this thread, I'm sure.) However, he frightened himself rather badly with the radicalism of his own vision, and he over-wrote too much to be taken entirely seriously.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote