View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Ternas

Default Re: [Std Magic] How have you fixed Bless?

When I GMed some dungeon fantasy games there was one basic standard with the group, and that was that the Cleric would always cast Bless on the group before they went off on their murder hobo spree. Whoo boy, it got to be annoying so I came up with a couple points for the group based off of a couple things.

1. Once you've made three to five important rolls (attack, defense, rolls that are marked critical for that dungeon) that succeeded only by the margin of Bless, it wears off.

2. I will always ask if you want to give up your Bless to avert some kind of danger from a trap or otherwise. Of course I might exaggerate the danger in order to convince them that it's a good idea to give it up.

3. And the canonical way, if a rolled failure critically endangers your life then the GM's special Retconmancy is utilized and the danger gets lessened or averted automatically without say so.

This has worked for me because the group I'm a part of understands that I probably won't screw them over completely.

What I would love to see, however, is for a version of Bless that works like a one time magical version of Destiny Points for buying success but keeping the current cost/time/pre-req. Makes things useful for folks and since you can't just cast it in the middle of a battle, it makes things a bit tactical on who you should keep buffing with it in the middle of a dungeon.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote