View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Building a Fantasy setting: DF or Regular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
And yet some of my players I cannot get out of the D&D mindset where "adventurer" means "go into an underground ruin, kill what's there, take the loot". The political intrigue of the spread of gunpowder (the magic guilds want it stopped, the more hostile nations want the secret for their armies), the unexplored lands farther west and south, and the hostile environments of the arctic north or scorching desert to the east don't catch their interest ... unless there's things to kill and loot to be taken.
Sounds like a player-game mismatch. They want dungeons, monsters, and loot, and you want intrigue, scheming, and exploration. You might want to considering just giving them what they want in a game, and find a different group for the second game. In my experience either it ends up being what the players want or the game ends in disappointment for all after a while.

The second sounds like a lot of fun to me (although, so does the first), but I know most of my players have zero interest in that. So for example we're playing DF right now because it hits the sweet spot of "where all of our interests overlap." We all like it, and we all want the same thing out of the game. If only I wanted it, well, we'd have moved on by now.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote