View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
DAT

Default Re: Point Cost for a “Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness” System for RATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
This is, frankly, one of those places where the rules system creaks a bit. Obviously, a set of Innate Attack enhancements that gave you the same benefits as a Weapon Harness could be a bit expensive, and yet those same benefits can be acquired by a human character for mere money (in not too excessive amounts). But then, representing TL10 weapons as Innate Attacks would cost a lot of points too... Which is why combat cybershell templates mostly ended up with a lot of Weapon Mounts and Payloads, onto or into which off-the-shelf high-tech weapons can be installed.

If you're talking about a cybershell with such a mount or payload bay, I'd probably just make sure that they could fit the weight of a Weapon Harness into the relevant mass limit, pay the cost of one off the shelf, and handwave a little. If the cybershell has an actual Innate Attack, though... I guess I'd say that you needed an upgraded shell with built-in enhanced stabilisation, and give that two 1-point perks; "Built-In Bracing" (attack always counts as Braced) and "Fire on the Move" (no penalties for walking or running while firing). ST requirement is of course not an issue here. Yes, 2 points is quite cheap for those benefits, but 'd only allow them in a context like this one.
I appreciate your thoughts Phil.

I could question how much of the "Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness" weigh is 'stabilization' equipment versus 'harness' (just to fit a human body), but we are probably only talking a point or two of payload, which is about the same as the the Perks. So it is probably all a wash in the end.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote