View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
tratclif

Default Re: Vehicles and Weapons from Fantasy giving me problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka
When I did my TL analysis, I noticed this myself. A TL 4 "Pirate ship" is actually SLOWER than a TL 3 Crusader Ship, and looking at the two statlines, I can't think of many reasons to make the jump to the "Pirate Ship."
The main reason would be the Crusader Ship's freeboard, which would be less than 2 meters and maybe less than a meter. It's only practical in the relatively calm Mediterranean, and would sink in a Caribbean storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka
I would expect Pirate Ships would be faster than their prey, as you can't possibly pounce on treasure ships if they simply lower all their sails and outrun you.

I'm betting its errata, and there's some numbers switched between the Galleon and the Pirate ship
As I said earlier in the thread, longer ships are faster than shorter ships. The Pirate Ship is listed as a gaff-and-jib rig while the Galleon is listed as full-rigged, so the Galleon has more area-of-sail proportionally. There are other considerations in sailing ship speed, but it's not immediately obvious that the relative speeds are wrong.

The acceleration for the Pirate Ship does look like it ought to be .3 and not .03, unless the sail area is a lot smaller than I'd expect.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote