View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
munin

Default Re: Help porting other-game spells to Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
Rope Trick - create an extra-dimensional space with room for several people, and the threshold/doorway/whatever blocks spell targetting and areas of effect

I really have no idea how to stat either aspect of this spell - the invisible hiding place feels like one part, and the protective door feels like another (which could be a useful ability on its own, if the protection is really some ability 'cast' in the doorway - you could generalize it into a special kind of permeable, transparent wall that effectively blocks LoS and AoE (and LoE if that is a GURPS term - I forget)). Any ideas are welcome. …
Pyramid #3/63 introduced Jumper (Pocket Dimension). The advantage allows you to access a private extradimensional space. By default the space is bedroom-sized, which seems about right (I wouldn't try to adhere too closely to the D&D details like "eight creatures"). The fact that it's extradimensional means it already is immune to all attacks/effects that don't have World-Spanning (p. P109).

However, the assumption for Jumper (PD) is that the space continues to persist after you leave it. You can leave things and people there and they're fine. The rope trick space doesn't persist when the spell ends which is a major drawback and worthy of a significant limitation on Jumper. I'm going to guesstimate -50%.

To add the window is going to be expensive though -- Tunnel, +100% (p. P89) and Extended Duration, 1,000×, +120% (or whatever you want the duration to be) to make the "tunnel" last the duration.

To add the rope … I think I would just go with Gizmos 1 [5] and call it done. So:
Rope Trick: Jumper (Pocket Dimension; Extended Duration, Tunnel, 1,000×, +120%; No Persistence, -50%; Tunnel, +100%) [270] + Gizmos 1 [5]. 275 points (requires Sorcery 27).
Now that's if you want to reproduce the spell a bit slavishly. To make it cheaper I would get rid of the rope and just do Jumper (PD; Tunnel, +40%) [140]. You activate the spell and are immediately transported into the extradimensional space. Your allies (and enemies) have 3d seconds to hustle in behind you (or maybe a flat 10 seconds if you do a "Fixed Duration, +0%" thing), then the portal closes. When you want to leave, repeat.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote