View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 10:15 AM   #6
Extrarius

Default Re: Help porting other-game spells to Sorcery

I finally stumbled into a build I like for "Phantom Trap" - the obvious answer is to just make an actual trap that doesn't harm anything, like so:

Crushing Attack(Partial Dice (1pt) *0.25; Area Effect (1yd) +25%; Delay: Triggered (Variable) +100%; Persistent +40%, Permanently Persistent (Dispellable) +150%; Selective Effect +20%; Damage Limitation (No Wounding, No Blunt Trauma, No Knockback) -80%; Melee Attack (Reach C, 1; No Parry) -25%) [7]

The 1yd area effect (a house rule afaik) is to allow the spell to cover larger mechanisms and also to allow it to be permanently persistent so it "resets" if "tripped". Since all damage effects are removed, the trap doesn't actually do anything if triggered (besides reset), but it is an actual attack waiting to be tripped. Selective effect allows targeting specific parts of the "trapped" device and not just "trapping" the entire thing, if you so desire. You can also select how the trap is triggered, such as when something is unlatched, opened, or something is put into an (apparent?) keyhole, etc.

I suppose it is a house rule to allow the area effect be anchored to the device instead of to a fixed hex, but it seems like a fair trade to give up targetting fixed spaces and only be able to anchor it to the target of the attack.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote