View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
Tomsdad

Default Re: Stunned after taking Wait maneuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
If I'm GMing in a setting with wizards, where this kind of things happens sufficiently often, AND the character has enough knowledge about stunning spells (like warriors training to 'steel their minds' to avoid this trick) - then yes, I'd allow it. It kind of makes sense to me in this way. My previous post did say the opposite, but I changed my mind. I like tactical choices.

But then the warrior does not get to pre-emptively attack the rushing bear instead, just because the Wait described above does not get set off.

But in a setting where wizards and stunning spells are very rare I don't like it. Not until the characters get this knowledge.
I play in a Cliffhanger campaign, where I'm the GM a lot. I think we'd allow it, if the character has sufficient knowledge and training. Maybe they'll get caught with their pants down the first time, but from them on those mind-mucking ninjas won't pull their stunt as easily.

I may allow an "unspent" Wait to yield more observational information. So even if the enemy does not approach or whatever, you still see what he's doing, and might notice something useful.

Good point on having to know stunning spells are a thing and what recovering from them would actually be like!