View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #49
condor

Default Re: Wait maneuver - differences from 3rd Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Which does imply that John could be at home. In this case there is an implication that the mobile shooter took a Wait. However there's also a RAW situation where the mobile shooter could have taken a Wait: if he is on a vehicle or mount, so this doesn't actually solve anything.
That would be bad reading. Neither means NOT A and NOT B. Period.

Quote:
Yes but that doesn't mean that you are using turn-by-turn movement and the map at all times. Turning Corners only makes sense to apply in a situation where the shooters are at Condition Yellow or Orange and the mobile shooter encounters a hostile shooter. If the mobile shooter is in condition Red it can't apply. In that case they act on their turns as normal.
Any event in which fast physical action is important, as fighting or pre-fighting, should be addressed by Tactical Combat.

Quote:
What the RAW lacks is a situation where a mobile shooter is expecting a hostile in the room, and the hostile isn't expecting the mobile shooter.
No, it doesn't lack.

Turn 1, Player A. Step the corner and Ready my gun.
Turn 1, Player B. (Not expecting trouble, gun across his chest) - Ready my gun.
Turn 2, Player A. Shot.

Quote:
Taking a Ready to ready a weapon that's already Ready just to get the step is silly. You might as well say "I take a Concentrate and think about Prime Numbers" in order to get the step. I wouldn't allow a player to Ready something that is Ready.

"Keep my gun Ready" isn't RAW and moreover is just silly.
There are loads of actions which you could do in a combat: count, take something in your pocket, grab some sand from the ground, etc. You need to pay attention to the maneuver description, not just stick to its name.
The book says that "Concentrate" and "Ready" are kind of generic maneuvers, that you use like a wildcard when addressing different mental or physical tasks during a combat while moving a little.
If you are prone and decide to grab a handful of sand - would you attack the ground? Grapple? I would use Ready in this case.
It accommodates to the game dynamics a zillion of physical and mental actions that you deem could be performed while stepping a little.

So he is not Readying the gun strictu sensu, he is just performing a physical and mental action which is not covered by the Basic Maneuvers: walking in a rehearsed fashion, carefully, slowly.

Quote:
No one is claiming that is. Nor will the game police confiscate your dice if you allow it.
As a 3rd. edition player, I used to Step and Wait. A player noted it, I said "Strange", we kept on and after a time, I decided to dig into it, out of curiosity, and check what SJ guys were thinking when changed the text. Instead of assuming that the rules are crap, I'm trying to devise some possibilities:

* Does it affect game balance?
*Are the rules coherent?
*Is it possible to play in these new rules?
*Was it just poorly written?

It is not I am afraid of the rules, its just that I am interested in this point as a puzzle.

But thanks for the advice, anyway.

Quote:

That's not a reactive attack; that's just a normal attack on your turn.
Yeah, but once you will do it as soon as you see your foe, it can be seen as a slower reactive attack.
But you're right: Cascading Waits may solve it too.

Quote:
That is an interesting question isn't it? On the other hand, if the Turning Corners rule was meant to apply in normal combat situations ought it not apply anytime a target becomes available and neither fighter has a Wait? In which case GURPS just got Attacks of Opportunity; which is bad.
No. It just apply when you don't see your target in the beginning of your turn. It seems the same modifier applied to pop-up attacks. p. B390.

Quote:
No, you can still move as part of the triggered action, just as with any Wait. You can Step with an Attack or move half your Move with an All-Out Attack (with the normal restrictions). Opportunity Fire doesn't change this.
If both chose Waits the same situation would apply as Cascading Waits.
Wrong. "To use opportunity fire, you must take the Wait maneuver. You must stand still and watch for a target in a specified area." p. B390.

Quote:

Not what I'm talking about at all. Imagine that Able is trapped in a tiny room with a pressure plate that activates on his turn and shuts the door. Ben is outside next to a lever that opens the door on his turn. By GURPS Raw Able can't Wait to Move out of the room. None of the legal Maneuvers he can take with Wait make sense. Able dies of thirst.
This problem doesn't exist in GURPS. You can't condition a lever to a turn nor to any other meta-information. You can't even say "I wait and attack him if he takes a Concentrate maneuver", because the maneuvers are not part of the diegesis of the game - they are just the way we use to deal with it. So, or the plate activates the trap by someone stepping on it or it doesn't. The same applies to the lever.

No wind is favorable when you don't know where you are going to.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote