View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #25
Jerron

Default Re: Cultural and Technological Consequences of Racial Daredevil trait

I would think, on the mental issue, that this race would be more likely to follow their own laws, no matter the locale. Which brings me to my other point, nice segway...

Their laws would not have the over-reliance on taking care of the populace like a moronic child. Warnings on cigarettes, lawsuits for baby cribs with widely-spaced bars, and a gamut of other things I consider totally annoying would not exist there. (Can I emigrate? :P ) Taking it a step further, I can see every vehicle driven regularly by these people to be modified. All of the safety overrides and governors and useless things like seat belts and airbags might be completely removed. The only reason things like seat belts would be used is for when the G-forces interfere with control, and keep you from sliding out of the seat. Craft, or other things, manufactured by this race would probably need extensive re-work after purchase, to install these things for 'normal' races to use. Can you see a motorcycle with no 'off' switch? (I mean, aside from something like a side-mounted one that you couldn't even use if it fell over.)

Further, depending on the laws, they could be, or have been, sued to paupers for this tendency when they started selling to other races. Or get a reputation for building extremely effective, but very dangerous, equipment, to such a point that no one (at least NPCs) without the daredevil mentality (not necessarily the advantage, just the outlook) would even touch their gear. "Back up air? It's a spaceship, not a hospital bed!"

Oh- and I'd certainly expect a much higher fecundity. The whole race just might do whoopee like rabbits, and families of 10 kids could be the norm, to offset the mortality rate.
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote