View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
tbone

Default Re: 2 Unrelated questions: druid living expense and readying

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
Can you sell me on why you can only make a step with the Ready action? Items that can’t be fast drawn require you to be nearly immobile. Items that are fast draw-able usually don’t impact your actions at all. I guess it makes sense for unwieldy items like polearms. Maybe light items could be readied while also getting half movement.
"Ready" covers a lot of actions, so it's hard to give a blanket response. But I would say that, wherever it seems possible, you should be able to Move and Ready. But just as with Move and Attack, there should normally be some drawback: roll vs DX when trying to uncork a potion, roll vs weapon skill when trying to unsheathe a weapon; on a failure, face something bad (fumble the item so the Ready doesn't count, or drop the item, etc.).

In short, I'd think of Step and Ready as the maneuver for an automatic, safe Ready; allow Move and Ready for a difficult, risky Ready.

Assuming you're willing to house-rule this in, of course. (Then again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Move and Ready were already an option offered in GURPS Martial Arts or somewhere. Anyone know of such a thing?)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote