View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #129
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: The 2019 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

Your comment brings up a point I dont think we have talked about here. Pyramid was about the cost of many digital supplements so there is a potential audience budget for 2 GURPS supplements a month. Remains to see how big that audience is.
It's certainly a point of interest for us.

We would often hear, "I don't buy Pyramid because even when it's narrowly themed, it's too much of a grab bag. I'd prefer an actual GURPS supplement." Presumably, those people didn't buy Pyramid, and that lack of support is one reason why we couldn't continue with it.

Currently, the bet is that those people will buy single-author GURPS supplements, and if we release as many of those as we did Pyramid issues, they'll in fact buy more items overall.

Of course, I don't doubt the next complaint will be along the lines of "Well, yes, but not these GURPS supplements . . .". However, where we could control the content of Pyramid to a limited extent by setting themes for each issue, we cannot control which GURPS supplements freelancers propose to write.

So the question is whether these effects wash out, result in a net loss of sales, or result in a net gain of sales.

We'll see.