Thread: Forced Retreats
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Forced Retreats

Yes, it can be one of the more interesting elements of play, which can nicely make the map situation and how figures arrange themselves important, IF there are interesting potential consequences. There can be a nice tension between the advantage of having your figures close together (so they concentrate attacks and block each others' side and rear hexes), and disadvantages (from not being able to deny HTH attempts, or from effects of forced retreats).

In the original rules, if a figure had nowhere to retreat to, they had to make a DX roll or fall down. I don't know why that was omitted from the new rules, but it seems to me that was a very important/fun/interesting effect. Like several other nice old omitted/changed rules, it's easy for us players who know/have the old rules to keep using the old rules, but I'm a bit sorry for the changes for the sake of new players, official RAW play, and online discussions.

I also always played that if someone fell down involuntarily near a hazard such as a pit hex, they needed to roll not to fall into the pit.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote