View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Mgellis

Default Re: Death Note themed game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushine View Post
I was recently recommended Death Note by a friend. I am currently watching episode 8 and all I could think my entire time watching is what an interesting GURPS game this would make. I cannot decide what would be the best way to do it, however. It seems that there are many ways and they all seem fun. You could have all the players be investigators, all of them searching for the "kira" character. Possibly one of them being kira would be interesting. However both of those possibilities seem like they would take an insane amount of planning and work on my part. A better way, I feel, would be to have a player find a Death Note and let his friends (the other players) in on the secret. This may bend the rules of the show but that's okay because I would prefer to play this with people that have never seen the show. Any ideas or opinions?
One problem with a Death Note campaign is that people may know the story, etc. However, in terms of campaign design, Death Note relies on a couple of interesting plot devices that can be adapted for other stories...

1) The villain has an unusual ability (or an unusual ally...or both) that is outside the experience of the heroes

2) The villain is seeking something but cannot approach it directly without giving away his identity

3) The villain has unexpected allies...people think he is right and join his cause without him planning on it (but once he knows who they are, he takes advantage of it)

4) The villain is actually someone the heroes know, someone deceiving them

So, perhaps the villain can talk to birds, and use them to learn secrets, and blackmail people, sometimes forcing them to kill themselves. He can also get birds to attack people...useful if they are on a ladder, etc. and could fall and hurt themselves. He knows a task force is after him and is trying to learn secrets like if any of them are corrupt or having affairs but cannot figure out how to do so without revealing his power or his identity.

Or something like that.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote