View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Gidoza

Default A Couple Clarifications

Hello, there,

I am new to the game and have read through the rules and FAQ, and of course I still have lots to learn, but a couple things elude me. I would be very thankful if I could have clarification on the following couple of points.

Firstly, the FAQ presents the following scenario:

Q. If you use a one-shot Item during combat and someone tries to make it disappear through Curse or Theft, do you get the bonus?
A. Theft doesn't work while you are in combat. Use of a Curse could destroy an Item as you try to use it, but once you play the Item into the fight, it's not yours to be Cursed anymore.

My question here is: What is meant by "As you try to use it?" I'm gathering that if the potion is already played on the monster, then I can't curse the item. I can curse the item if it's being carried by a player. But if the player says, "I want to use this item," and goes and puts it on the monster, does this mean I can curse it at that point, because this is when the player is trying to use it?

My second question relates to a thief's theft ability. The rules say that theft cannot be done during combat, but seems ambiguous about other times. First off, can I steal things basically any other time I want, as in, during other players' turns?
Secondly, I have the following scenario: Another player has the boots that stop "kick-open-the-door" curses from affecting him. It is my turn, and I draw a curse that causes me to lose my class, and I'm a thief. When I encounter this curse, can I try at that moment to steal the other player's boots so that if I succeed, I will become immune to the curse that threatens to destroy my class?

My last question (for now) relates to the following items I see in the standard deck: Cloak of Obscurity, Spiky Knees, Singing & Dancing Sword, Limburger and Anchovy Sandwich, Pantyhose of Giant Strength, Kneepads of Allure, and Really Impressive Title.

None of these items are indicated as armor or footwear or any such thing, and the sword is presumably a weapon, but has no number of hands. Does this mean, then, that these are straight bonuses that have no association to weapon, armor, footwear, or the like? (In other words, is there a "legging" type item that would prevent me from using all of the Spiky Knees, Kneepads of Allure, and Pantyhose all at once, or do these count as footwear, or do I just use them all if I'm the right class or race? And of course, can I have two hands' worth of weapons, and then also use the singing and dancing sword?) As for the really impressive title, it's not really an "item" per se, but it just gives a bonus. What kind of curse would destroy an item that has no particular classification?

That's all I have to ask. I thank you for your help! :)

-Gidoza
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote