View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Minor Tweeks to Grappling Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
I was wondering what everyone thought about three tweaks to the grappling rules in basic and MA that I am considering. I do have technical grappling and would like to use it, but I have a campaign with 6 newish players and it would be too confusing and bog things down. That said, some of the stuff in Technical Grappling, like limb grapples affecting the whole body at 1/2 and cp being useful for targeting hit locations with strikes would be very useful. This is a LT Monster Hunters game and increased ability to hit things like the heart or eyes will be very useful. So here are my three house rules:

1) Grappling any hit location penalizes DX by -4 for that location and -2 for every other location.

2) Once a target is grappled, penalties to target any hit location with a strike are halved, round up (as per penalties to grapple hit locations).

3) Institute the Pass Limb rule on pg 24-25 of Technical Grappling except that instead of maintaining CP, a success results in being able to free one limb while maintaining full ST score for ST based affects and any bonuses you had accumulated against attempts to break free (like +5 for using 2 hands and +4 for an arm lock).

I am trying to keep it simple while also making grappling more attractive and giving the players a way to target difficult hit locations that is tactically more interesting.

What do you think, workable and balanced?
I like 'em.

Pass Limb could also be used to add a second location to the list of those at -4. So you could (say) grapple the torso (-4) and limbs are -2 . . . but if you pass limb, you can either free one of your own limbs, OR you can (say) have the torso and right arm at -4, and the rest at -2. One limb per attack. So eventually you could have the arms, torso, and legs (cradle position) if you're willing to spend the attacks. That'd be the equivalent of a Pin.

the bit about half penalties on strikes by the grappler seems a fair trade for "I spend CP to lower hit location penalties" and incentivizes the grapple/strike combo, which is to the good.

Another thing you could do is allow two levels of grappled. So the first is -4 to the grappled location, the second is -8.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote