View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #27
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: Any plans to replace this program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
I'll give a perfect example of when it's annoying - making a member of an "Attractive" race "Beautiful." This requires adding the Disadvantage of "Not Attractive" then turning around and adding back the exact same Advantage that was removed. Let's not get into how difficult it is to add the same trait twice - especially when it's locked and hidden.

Not to mention it's hard to teach new players when they don't know exactly what's happening behind the scenes of their character build. Most all of my players, and myself, want to see this info.

So add me to the list of people who think "Locked" and "Hidden" by default is a bad idea.
Show > Show Components is your friend.

Show Components exists for the very purpose of showing you what parts make up a template (or other compound trait). From there, selecting one and right-clicking to choose Disable Component isn't difficult, and creates the opposing advantage/disadvantage ("No Appearance" or whatever) automatically. It's pretty easy to add the new Appearance then, because the other is disabled, and has "*Disabled*" as part of the name, so there are no duplicate item issues.

Racial templates are basically meta-traits, so the components are supposed ("officially") to not be shown on the sheets. And you're supposed to take the "No whatever" ad/disad when you vary from the norm for the template. So GCA is promoting, and assisting, the user doing that as it's supposed to be done.

If the components aren't locked, then changing the value of the bits will change the value of the template, and that's absolutely not how things are supposed to work, so locking also helps to ensure that things work as expected.

While I understand how many feel about this, and sympathize since I like to see the component bits as well, the hidden and locked behavior is one of the few things that SJGames specifically requested that GCA should do, so it's unlikely to be changed from this default behavior, even though we try give you options to work around it.

If folks have suggestions as to how it can be made more clear to new or novice users as to what's going on, and how they can deal with it, I do love to hear such suggestions. I don't like having things that leave people confused or frustrated.

Armin