View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #30
tbeard1999

Default Re: Examining "Once Per Day" in TFT: Solution or Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
As we have no established incremental time-keeping system beyond the 5 second combat turn - of which there are 17,280 of these "per day".
We do have “seconds” (i.e., 1/5 of a turn), “minutes” (I.e., 12 turns) “hours” (i.e. 720 turns) and “days” (17,289 turns), don’t we?

Quote:
The Fantasy Trip uses a unique Jacksonian magic system, which is engineered around a "Per Usum" platform; whereas, other game systems use a Vancian magic system which is engineered around a "Per Diem" platform.
TFT’s magic system looks to me a lot like the Tunnels and Trolls magic system - sans silly names. And much like the Runequest magic system, sans runes. So I don’t think it’s all that unique. It is probably the most refined, at least when it comes to combat magic, though, even through today. (I haven’t played GURPs in decades so I can’t opine about it).

In fact, outside of D&D and its clones, I can’t think of any game that uses a Vancian magic system (other than, of course, the Dying Earth RPG). There must be some; I just can’t recall any.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote