View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #43
Irish Wolf

Default Re: A character type for a Star Trek game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I saw that. It was an example of what you end up with when you try to combine the incompatible (i.e. TOS fictional history and STTNG fictional history and actual history). The author tried to recast the Eugenics Wars as something else so as to combine them with the real-world 1990s. I didn't read the whole thing, it was an exercise in futility.
I just went to look up the relevant quote from "Bread and Circuses", about the number of dead in Earth's Third World War (37 million, but Spock also quoted death rates lower than reality for the First and Second World Wars). It's also noted that in "Space Seed", Spock seemed to treat the Eugenics Wars and WWIII as the same thing, and in another episode (I think it was "City On the Edge of Forever") he mentioned that Earth's records from that period are "fragmentary".

So it's pretty clear that somewhere in there, the old Terran governments went bye-bye, either through being destroyed or through being subsumed into the United Earth government. So either way, even if Aiden had committed a crime (and from the information Astromancer gave, he probably didn't), there would be no one to prosecute him anyway.

It may be worth noting that even after they'd awakened Khan Noonien Singh, and knew precisely who he was, the Enterprise was still on course to take the Botany Bay to the nearest starbase, and no one was being held in custody on the way (had they been, it would not have been so simple for Khan to come so very close to succeeding in his attempt to seize the ship). So even the big guy wasn't being treated as a criminal.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote