View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #6
acrosome

Default Re: Attribute levels and their meanings.

It has often been said regarding skills, that a level of 12 implies that one can make a living using that skill, for whatever that's worth. So a professional carpenter should have Carpentry-12, etc.

Also (and this will get me screamed at nowadays) a rule of thumb from way back in The Day was to think of IQ as IQx10. So IQ12 was an actual IQ of 120, etc. That was a very rough approximation of what is sometimes called "general intelligence", though, since GURPS 4e uses things like Talents and Empathy and other advantages now. Which is more realistic in most ways, actually- back when it didn't have those you needed ridiculously high IQ on characters like Leonardo Da Vinci or Thomas Edison.

A lot of Other Gaming Systems have something like an APP score, so you need to deal with that when converting material to GURPS. For instance, in my Call of Cthulhu conversion (using 6e stats, not the execrable 7e):

CoC APP should be converted to a GURPS Appearance equivalent. First treat APP as any other attribute, but then subtract 10:

GURPS Appearance = ((APP + 10) / 2) -10

This will give a score from -3 to +6, which is similar to the reaction modifier for various levels of GURPS Appearance and should translate thus:

-3 Hideous
-2 Ugly
-1 Unattractive
0 Average
+1 Attractive
+2 Attractive
+3 Handsome/Beautiful
+4 Handsome/Beautiful

Obviously, monsters without an APP score are Monstrous.

I can't recall if that was directly plagiarized from Dickerson's conversion or not. I started with that and Cthulhupunk, changed a lot, and added a lot. What I have so far runs 72 pages (and growing).

Last edited by acrosome; 07-06-2018 at 07:54 AM.