View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 AM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: What is the best Magic system to use in a DF campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set View Post
You're taking extremes. Again, magic is not that rare. But it's not as common as swords.
You suggested that nobody would plan defenses against magic, which is the definition of a situation requiring an Unusual Background.
Quote:
Tell me, in your long running campaign, did you throw as many magic workers against the party as mundane enemies?
More than the number of Weapon Masters they faced. Enough that it wasn't unreasonable to expect smart foes to be prepared for the PC wizards and clerics.

Quote:
True enough, it did set many standards. But D&D set others - and those are the ones I'm trying to closely relate in my setting, and I also think those are the ones that Dungeon Fantasy, in general, try to mirror.
D&D and dungeon delving FRPGs in general are closer to sword and sorcery than high fantasy, IMO, but really are more a distinct subgenre of its own (which is the stance GURPS Fantasy takes on the taxonomy).

Quote:
I don't think what I'm trying to discuss here is an unreasonable matter. Is it?
It isn't unreasonable to not like save-or-die spells, no. The obvious solution is just don't use them.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote