View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #31
Set

Default Re: What is the best Magic system to use in a DF campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
My suggestion: Play GURPS as it is for a while.

Then when you have the experience to understand it's actual flaws and weaknesses, begin fiddling with dials.
I've tested some plausible scenarios with some friends and came to the conclusion that save-or-die spells are too strong and/or unfun.

I've also read around 5~10 threads about Magic, and the consensus seems to be that it, indeed, isn't balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Seconded. I say that as someone who wasted a lot of time 'fixing' GURPS when I could have usefully spent that time learning the system instead.

Also those spell fixes look pretty broken...e.g. selectively removing the -1 per yard range penalty is a colossal change, since now I can cast Tickle at someone on the other end of the continent. Further, it's very unclear what these do and don't apply to...is Flesh to Stone a restraint/hindrance? What about Create Fire (being on fire has a negative impact on combat ability)? What about a Force Dome conjured around someone?
Sorry, it was indeed a little confusing. It's -1 flat from the distance modifier. If someone is at 10 yards from you, you'll have -9 instead of -10.

About specific spells, yes I'd have to see many of them case by case.

EDIT: For those spells specifically: Flesh to Stone is instantaneous, so maybe the better way to do this would be making it so it takes a few turns to completely turn the target to Stone, and it's a Regular Contest instead of a Quick Contest.
Create Fire is surely a hindrance, but it does so by being distracting IIRC - that means penalties to skills and thus isn't affected by the rules.
Force Dome IMO wouldn't be a problem since you'd have to cast it with a really big area to lock someone there, because it takes one second to form and people may Dodge and Drop if they don't have enough movement to leave the area.

With that said, any opinion on the rest of the system?

Last edited by Set; 09-18-2017 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Formatting
Set is offline   Reply With Quote