View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #24
LazarusDarkeyes

Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
And, yes, that might be absurd, but you're talking about extreme cases here. Are you going to have a ST40 race and players who would want to buy it down to ST10? Or an IQ6 race and players who would want to buy it up to IQ18? Is this really a problem you expect to need to fix? This really looks like a solution in search of a problem, and something which could be dealt with by, y'know, actually talking to your players if it becomes an issue rather than proactively declaring global rules which potentially complicate everyone's character creation.
Sadly, yes. Not so much in my current game, but I have had some players trying to abuse races and/or certain mechanics in the past. As a GM, I feel bad to tell one player he can't do something without telling it to everyone (even if only 1-2 players would ever try to do it)...thus the global rule... That is probably the origin of why I starting enforcing these limits.

Yeah...I had several extremely intelligent and well-educated (multiple degrees, MS and PhD, in mathematics/physics/CSCI/etc.) friends I gamed with. I introduced them to GURPS...and they just tore through the numbers trying to break the system. Attempting to keep them in check forced me to come up with a bunch of characters creation guidelines. Since I stopped playing with them, I've slowly gotten rid of a bunch of those guidelines, but this one sorta made sense to me.
LazarusDarkeyes is offline   Reply With Quote